Have you been injured due to the actions of someone else?
“Personal Injury” is a term used to describe a legal claim when someone is physically injured due to the negligence of another person or group. “Personal Injury” is a general classification that can describe cases involving injuries due to car accidents, motorcycle accidents, tractor trailer accidents, dog bites, construction accidents, premises liability claims, slip and fall cases, etc.
Holding Another Person or Group Responsible for Your Injuries:
North Carolina law requires that you be able to prove that your injuries were the direct result of another person’s negligence. “Negligence” is the failure to use reasonable care in a situation. Everyone is under a legal duty to exercise reasonable care. When a person fails to exercise reasonable care and this results in an injury, the injured person has a claim to recover damages under a theory of negligence. There are some additional rules and exceptions that can determine when you will have a claim for personal injuries, but this is the primary rule. Our lawyers can discuss the particulars of your case to give a free opinion as to whether you may have a claim for damages.
What Damages Can I Recover?
If you have suffered a personal injury due to another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover:
- Compensatory Damages: Compensatory Damages are awarded to “compensate” you for the damages that you may have sustained as a result of your accident. These damages typically include the following:
- Medical bills
- Prescription bills
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Lost wages
- Mileage to and from doctor visits
- Permanent impairments / disabilities
- Permanent disfigurement (scarring)
- Future medical bills
- Punitive Damages: North Carolina law allows punitive damages to be recovered if you were injured due to drunk driving or other behavior demonstrating “willful and wanton” conduct. In order for punitive damages to be awarded, you need to be able to show that the negligent person or group was recklessly indifferent to the safety of you and others. Punitive damages are awarded to punish a person or group for their conduct. Punitive damages are also awarded to deter others from similar conduct in the future. Punitive damages are not available in all cases. Bradley Law Group fights to recover punitive damages whenever they are allowed by law.
Things to Do Following a Personal Injury:
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries.
- If possible, have someone take pictures of your injuries and the accidents scene.
- Write down the name, address and phone number of all witnesses to the accident.
- Keep a daily diary and record how you feel and how your life has been affected as a result of the accident.
- Contact Bradley law Group to discuss your case.
Things NOT TO DO Following a Personal Injury:
- DO NOT speak with any insurance company until you have spoken with a lawyer.
- DO NOT sign anything sent to you by any insurance company. Show these documents to your lawyer.
- DO NOT allow any insurance company to take your “recorded statement”.
- DO NOT discuss the facts of the accident or your injuries with any insurance company.
- DO NOT refuse medical treatment if you are hurt.
Why Should I Hire a Lawyer to Handle My Case?
Personal Injury cases are far more complex than you would think. The negligent party’s insurance company has teams of highly trained adjusters and lawyers to protect their interests. Standing alone, you are no match for the insurance company and their team of professionals. It’s not a fair fight and the insurance company knows it. Bradley Law Group can level the playing field.
“Injured people recover 3 ½ times more when they were represented by a lawyer.”
(-2004 Insurance Research Council study)
Insurance companies are in business to make money. Insurance companies make money by collecting premiums and paying injured people as little possible. It’s a great business model for the insurance company, but not for the innocent victims. Bradley Law Group has the experience and the resources to make the insurance company play fair. We can help maximize your settlement.
North Carolina Personal Injury Attorney
- We will talk with you about your accident and your injuries.
- We will assist you in obtaining medical treatment if necessary.
- We will handle all communications with the insurance company regarding your personal injury claim. Let us deal with the hassles while you focus on healing.
- We will gather all accident reports, medical records, bills, evidence, etc.
- We will investigate all insurance coverage matters and open all appropriate claims.
- We will answer all of your questions in a timely and professional manner.
- We will assemble all evidence for review by the insurance company once you have completed your treatment.
- We will negotiate with the insurance company to get the highest offer possible.
- We will discuss your options once we have the highest offer from the insurance company to determine whether settlement or litigation is best for you.
- We will handle the disbursement of all settlement funds in accordance with state and federal laws to protect you.
- We will be your trusted partner throughout the duration of your case. It is our goal to answer your questions and put you at ease.
Is it a good idea for me to try to settle with the insurance company before hiring a lawyer?
NO! We have had to reject many cases that people have damaged because they attempted to handle themselves. Some people think that they will get more money if they don’t hire a lawyer. You get to keep more if you don’t have to pay a lawyer, right? Wrong. On average, people represented by a lawyer recover 3 ½ times more than people who try to settle their case without an attorney.
(2004 Insurance Research Council Study)
When a person attempts to settle their case on their own, the insurance company knows that they have the upper hand in the negotiations and will typically make an extremely low and unfair offer. Lots of people try to hire attorneys after they their case has been undervalued by the insurance company. By the time the insurance company has made an offer to someone who is unrepresented the case is normally damaged to the point that it cannot be fixed without expensive and time consuming litigation. You were already the victim of an accident, don’t let the insurance company make you a victim for a second time. Let Bradley Law Group represent you from the start. We will make sure that your case is handled correctly so that your rights are protected and you receive the highest settlement possible.
The personal injury attorneys at Bradley Law Group help those who have suffered catastrophic injuries throughout the state of North Carolina including the cities of Asheville, Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Durham, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Greenville, High Point, Jacksonville, Raleigh, Wilmington, and Winston Salem.